Saturday, October 04, 2008

Hotel LDS

I've been so eager for a getaway lately. With only one chemotherapy treatment left, it seems like the perfect celebration dream. It also brings to mind the rock song "Goin' Home" whose lyrics include the line "be careful what you wish for, cuz you just might get it all, you just might get it all". True to lyric, I'm lazin' here with the rain outside my inner cement court window at the beautiful uptown Hotel LDS (yes, as in hospital, very good!) Apparently my white blood cells were also into the idea of a getaway, and they went away! A rapidly growing fever clued me in to their absence on day 8 following my otherwise uneventful round of chemo. By bedtime, the fever had reached 101.3 through medication. I fell asleep with the intention of calling into Oncology in the morning. That early phone call resulted in a prescription for oral antibiotic--perfect. Two minutes later, the office called back requesting an appearance for updated CBC. I appeared, produced the required four vials of blood and waited for the good news. Did you know that people exist with adequate power to direct you immediately to the nearest hospital, even if you came to the clinic completely alone?Did you know that you can just appear at said hospital, and if your CBC was ugly enough, they just let you in without a reservation, waiving you unescorted straight up to the eighth floor where you find that your reputation has preceded you and your bed is turned down, your gown laid out? They even valet park your car! Hotel LDS. If your condition is shocking enough, it's a totally class act.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Miss Gae...you take the most unique "vacations." Perhaps I could help you with the arrangements next time. I could get Alex to come out of the basement of LDS hospital and get you want you want. I need to keep a closer eye on you!!!